Thursday, November 8, 2012

The New Me

I did not change much in coming to college, but I did change as far as who my friends are. In high school, I was friends with people from my classes and from marching band. Here, I am not really friends with anyone from the marching band, which I why I do not think I will be doing it next year. Also, I am not really friends with the people in my classes since college classes aren't like high school. You aren't trapped in the classroom till the bell rings. If there is free time at the end of class, the teacher just dismisses you, instead of keeping you there. Because of that, I haven't had much time to social with people in class. I am only friends with the people who I know from clubs, activities, or my dorm. Also, I went to a pretty small high school. When you made a group of friends, you were kind of stuck with them. By the end of high school, I was pretty much sick of a lot of my friends. They were just kind of boring to me because we didn't have the same interests. Here, I got to pick my friends, and now I have lots in common with them. That's not to say we're all the same, but at least we have something to talk about. I think this is a positive change.

Another change is that I am eating a lot more healthy foods. Back home, we had lots of snack foods because of my brother. However, they were still hard for me to resist. Living away from home is nice because I get to pick what food I keep in my dorm. That way I don't have to constantly be resisting the temptation of snacking. Also, when I go to the union, I have lots of options of healthy and unhealthy food. I only have to make the choice of which meal I am going to eat one time a day, rather than every time I walk through the kitchen. I would definitely say this is a positive change.

The last change I have noticed is that I feel happier.I am no longer stuck in school all day. Instead, I have a schedule that I picked for myself, and I am only taking relevant classes. Instead of wasting my time in a study hall or in an unrelated history class, I am taking education courses that really interest me. I love that I am actually starting to do something for my future. Before, everything I did was for my college applications. Now, I am learning how to be a highly qualified teacher, which is my passion. Having a more relevant life, rather than wasting my time with unnecessary courses, is making me a much happier person.

2 comments:

  1. I love being able to pick out my food and have it all to myself, unlike when I am at home I have to share everything with my brother and sister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea I also agree I love not having to cook for myself and I can just go and get something

    ReplyDelete